Open enrollment for healthcare benefits for Local 223 members runs through October 30.
Here are few things to consider as you choose your benefits for the coming year. Staying on top of your health will help to make sure you are there for your family and can save you a lot of money.
Healthy Living Requirements (HLR) – these requirements have been cancelled for 2020, which means no physicals are required in 2020 and no surcharge for anyone in 2021.
Although the requirements have been waived due to COVID-19, we encourage all employees and spouses to schedule your medical physicals and to complete the assessment so you stay on top of your health.
Be careful which plan you select:
- A brief summary of the plans are in the 2017-2021 Collective Bargaining Agreement but a complete Summary Plan Description is available online through YBR or request it by calling 866.899.4383 (this is a dedicated number for DTE employees).
- Make sure your primary care physician is part of the network if you are changing plans or you are making a first time plan selection.
- Be aware of the out of pocket costs because they are different if you choose an HMO over a PPO.
- Look to see whether the plan you are selecting is widely accepted in the region which you live.
- If you are unsure, seek help. Your Benefits Resources (YBR) can answer a lot of questions and help with your enrollment.
- Select a plan according to your family size. If your family size has changed, such as a child reaching age 26, be careful that you do not select a plan for too many individuals or too few.
- Even though you do not think you will get sick and wish to opt out for a few extra dollars, this could cost you thousands. There have been cases where employees did opt out and it resulted in thousands of dollars being owed to health care providers.
Carefully plan for amounts to add to dependent care and flexible spending accounts:
- Be sure to consider the amounts you choose to put into dependent care and flexible spending accounts.
- During the pandemic we cannot predict your personal need(s) for either type of account so take time to carefully consider your need(s) because any unused funds may be forfeited.
Local 223 is here to help you. If you are unsure, we can help to direct you to the proper person to get answers. We are not health care professionals but we know how to get help for our members. If you do need to change your elections after Open Enrollment closes, please contact the Local for help.
It’s time to choose your 2021 healthcare coverage
- Consider your needs
- Review your options at ybr.com/dteenergy
- Change or confirm your DTE Energy benefits for 2021 by 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Oct. 30, 2020.
Your needs change from year to year. That’s why it is important to take action to ensure you have the right coverage!